Description: The database upgrade utility must be run on the database server, but it cannot be run on a 64bit OS. If your database server is a 64bit OS, you must run the upgrade utility remotely from a 32bit machine using the instructions below.
If you have already run the upgrade utility on a 64bit server and received an error message, you will need to restore the backup of the database that was done prior to the upgrade and start again running the upgrade utility remotely from a 32 bit OS as outlined below. Here is an example of the error message you will receive if running the upgrade utility on a 64bit OS:
NOTE: These instructions are NOT a substitute for the Upgrade instructions included in the upgrade utility zip file. These are intended only to walk you thru running the upgrade utility remotely and are to be used in conjunction with the upgrade instructions.
Instructions for running the Database Upgrade Utility remotely:
To Perform the Database Upgrade:
- Be sure to make a backup of the database.
- Move the upgrade utility download(s) to a 32bit workstation and establish the ODBC connection to the database from that machine. Instructions for establishing the ODBC connection can be found in the upgrade instructions.
- Place the Data_Bulkload files (usually there are 3) from the upgrade zip file into a folder on the 64bit database server. We suggest creating a folder that you can identify the path to easily, such as at the root of the C drive in a folder called: Bulkupload
- In the upgrade utility folder back on the 32bit machine, you need to identify a path to the bulk files on the database server by creating an .ini file called: upgrader.ini (see below for screenshot example)
- The Upgrader.ini file must be in the same folder as the upgrade utility and must have the [BULKINSERT] bracket and the next line state FILEPATH= and then identify the path to where the bulk files are located on the database server and feed into the folder (do not leave off the \ after the folder name).
- You can now follow the upgrade instructions and run the database upgrade utility remotely from the 32 bit OS.
Here is a screenshot example of the ini file opened in notepad:
If you are performing more than one upgrade, you must follow the above steps for each upgrade you are running. You must move the bulk insert files from each upgrade utility folder over to the database server and create an .ini file in each upgrade utility folder being run on the 32bit machine.