How To Properly Setup Approval Alerts vs. Approval Email Notifications
Notifications for approvals can be automatically generated to email accounts for both users and non-users of MarketingPilot. In order to do so it is important to be aware of the different setup requirements for each, so that when users send approvals they can be sure the “assigned to” contact is properly notified.
Note – email must be configured for your MarketingPilot site, the Alert Processor must be setup for your site, and both user and non-user contacts must have an email address in order to generate alerts and email notifications through MarketingPilot.
Approvals Alerts for MarketingPilot User Contacts:
Only contacts associated to MarketingPilot User ID’s should be setup to receive alerts. Alerts are links that allow the user to login to MarketingPilot and go directly to the assigned approval to review. If a non-user receives an alert with a link to login, they will not be able to and so cannot access and review the assigned approval.
To setup alerts for a MarketingPilot user:
- Navigate to and click on the contact record for the User ID and click on the Alerts tab for that contact.
- From the All Alerts section under the Alerts tab, click on Approval. This narrows the display to only show available alert rules for Approvals for MarketingPilot Users in the pane to the right.
- Check the New Approval Request alert rule and click Save.
- The user will now get an email alert with a hyperlink to login to review the assigned approval when they are added to an approval and the approval is sent.
Tip – When defining alerts for user contacts, click on the area in the left pane that you want to define the alert rule for to see alert rules specific to that section. Users must click save prior to navigating to any other areas in the subdirectory in order to save the alert rule selected. If you do not, the alert rule(s) will not be saved.
Approvals Email notifications for contacts that are NOT MarketingPilot Users:
Contacts who are not MarketingPilot users can also be added to an approval and receive an email notification. These are different than the alerts in that they do not require the contact to login. If the contact is a MarketingPilot user, they must be setup to receive an alert as defined above. Only contacts who are not also MarketingPilot users will receive email notifications.
Email notifications require a user role setting to be defined on the MarketingPilot user who will be creating the approvals. In order to do this you must have administrative rights. This must be done for all users who will be sending out approvals to contacts who are not MarketingPilot users.
To setup email notifications for a MarketingPilot Contact:
- Navigate to and click on the User ID of the MarketingPilot user record who will be creating and assigning the approvals.
- Under the Roles tab, click on the Approvals & Requests section.
- Select the checkbox for the Approve via Email role on the user and click save.
- The contact will now get an email notification with a hyperlink to review the assigned approval in a browser when they are added to an approval and the approval is sent.
Tip – When defining user roles, click on the area in the left pane that you want to define the role for to see roles specific to that section. Users must click save prior to navigating to any other areas in the subdirectory in order to save the roles selected. If you do not, the role(s) will not be saved.